Sunday, July 5, 2009

Wedding by God

We weren't sure it was going to happen - Nicholas and Holly, both recovering meth users, having been together for years, wanted to get married. We talked about it and even set a tentative date of July 3, but then I didn't hear from them until the end of June. So the day before the wedding date, we hang out in the garden and make our plans.

Friday morning I sat in the garden and read Psalm 23, which they had picked for their wedding. I asked Jesus what the Father's heart was for them and began to write. I've done this in different situations but never before for a wedding. I felt Jesus told me things He wanted to bless them with, things they needed to ask for and things He wanted to break off of them.

As we neared the ceremony, I mentioned to Chris (playing piano) that after the vows and rings we would have a time for everyone who wanted to come up and lay hands on them to pray. Chris suggested that he play some music and we invite people to sit and ask Jesus what He wants them to give to Holly and Nicholas, and then we would all pray. So, when the time came I invited people to do this but what happened was better than our plan. Throughout the music, couples and individuals came forward when they were ready to speak blessing over Nicholas and Holly and to pray with them. This went on for 15 minutes and was so beautiful to see. It was intimate, personal and powerful.

No comments: