Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Presence of God in the Skagit County Jail

I wish you could have been there. During the two hours on Thursday night, we (Bob, Chris and I) sat, studied and prayed with four different groups from different pods. Chris would start by playing guitar and Bob and I would go around and pray quietly for each man, asking Jesus to touch them.

In the two larger groups, I felt a powerful outpouring of the love of God for these men, these outcasts - even feeling like Jesus was there wearing red jail clothing, loving these sinners. Romans 5 says, And hope does not disappoint us for God has poured His love into our hearts by His Holy Spirit. It felt like I was a conduit for this love by the Holy Spirit as God poured His love into their hearts. I know this is generally true but I usually receive it by faith. This time I felt it strongly - the Father's deep, unconditional love really comes home in a place like this.

As I prayed for one young man, I immediately had an image of an older blond woman who was very sad and the strong sense that this was his mother. Being my first time in the jail, I didn't say anything but quietly prayed comfort for his mom. After we sat down I turned to him and asked, "Is your mother okay?" He said, "No, she is really distressed that I am in here," and went on to share some of the details of his charges. So I prayed more for him and his mother.

It is also amazing to see what a culture of openness to the work of the Spirit that Bob and Chris have helped to cultivate. Many are so ready to do the radical work of forgiving their enemies; something I don't see much in many churches. Perhaps the hardest thing for these men is for them to forgive themselves. Not only are there the things that have led to their being in the jail, there is much going on outside that has contributed to their brokenness.

As we prayed with one young Latino man, Chris asked him about his relationship with his father. Both Chris and Bob had an image of a hand with a stick in it - and led this man to forgive his father for physical violence against him. A young Russian who has been running, (Bob got the word, Jonah), from the call of God on his life since he was 16, found himself encouraged to turn and embrace the good news of a Jesus who would seek him out in the jail.

No comments: