Monday, April 27, 2009

One of the ways Jesus is scandalizing me

As I've been praying with people lately and inviting Jesus to show up, He has been offending me at times...

Praying with one man, I asked Jesus where He was in the room and I saw Him kneeling at the feet, "submitting" Himself to this man. I thought, "No, thats not right. We submit to You, Jesus." Then the thought came to me, "The Son of Man did not come to be served but to serve."

Even as I write that I still feel the resistance in me. We are to serve Him - right? Not my will, but His - right?

Praying with another man, I again saw Jesus kneeling before him and told Him, "No." He said He wanted to wash his feet. I still resisted what I was hearing/thinking and He said, "Unless I wash you, you have no part of Me."

The other night in worship we recognized that the resurrected Jesus was among us to visit us even as He visited the disciples in the upper room. So we asked Jesus to show us how He wanted to visit us. After sitting to see what He would say to us, several people said they saw Him dancing and worshipping over us, celebrating us, telling us how glad He was that we had come. We were there to worship Him and He was there to receive our worship but also to bless and lavish His love and affection on us.

I am continually amazed at how Jesus breaks the box of my understanding which is way too small for the risen Jesus.

No comments: