Sunday, May 17, 2009

Setting Captives Free

Last week I had the opportunity to team up with two others from our ministry to pray for a woman for inner healing. As we were praying, one of my team members was asking the woman about some family patterns with her dad. As I listened, I asked Jesus what was going on here. I imagined a dam with a lot of water behind it and only a little coming down the trough. I thought, "That's predictable." I was feeling skeptical of my hearing from Jesus. I asked Him, "Jesus, what is the dam?" I thought I heard, "It's a lie that she has been told." I thought, "That's predictable, too." I thought that because often in prayer we have found that there are things God wants to release to a person but they can't receive it because they have come to believe something that keeps them back for one reason or another.

Still I asked Him, "What's the lie?" I won't say what it was (for confidentiality) but the next thing I heard sounded so much like my own thoughts that I immediately dismissed it. Then I realized that it was so unlike anything I would have thought of that I asked what I should do with it. He said, "Tell her," but I was afraid to, in case I was wrong. So I asked all sorts of questions around it that might give me some idea if what I was hearing was right. Her answers didn't help me sort it. Finally they all looked at me and asked me where I was going with all that and what I heard. Even at this point I hesitated and finally said, "Okay, this is what I think I saw and think I heard," and she looked at me with eyes wide and said, "That is exactly right!" This led us down a line of praying that brought increasing freedom for her.

Jesus is so beautiful to give a prophetic word (1 Corinthians 14:25) in order to set a captive free. It is such an honor and great encouragement to my faith to get to be part of things like that! Praise Him!

No comments: